NYSMITH MATHCOUNTS COMMUNITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's a tough question that my brother came up with:

5 posters

Go down

Here's a tough question that my brother came up with: Empty Here's a tough question that my brother came up with:

Post  Matt Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:18 am

In a certain city, every day, some people become sick, some people stay well, and some people die.

Of all the people that stay well, 55% are sick the next day.
Of all people that are sick, 60% die the next day.
Dead people, of course, remain dead.

Assuming the society starts with a population of 10,000 on Monday, how many people are well on Friday? How many are sick? Dead?

Find the steady state vector of the population of this city as time approaches infinity (HINT: use the eigenvalue 1 and its associated eigenvector!!!!!).
Matt
Matt
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Back to top Go down

Here's a tough question that my brother came up with: Empty Re: Here's a tough question that my brother came up with:

Post  Mira Holford Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:45 am

Matt wrote:In a certain city, every day, some people become sick, some people stay well, and some people die.

Assuming the society starts with a population of 10,000 on Monday, how many people are well on Friday? How many are sick? Dead?

Find the steady state vector of the population of this city as time approaches infinity (HINT: use the eigenvalue 1 and its associated eigenvector!!!!!).

thats a cheerful problem Very Happy ...

im workin on it it gets really confusing ill post the answer when (if)i get one.
Mira Holford
Mira Holford
The Cool Cube
The Cool Cube

Back to top Go down

Here's a tough question that my brother came up with: Empty Re: Here's a tough question that my brother came up with:

Post  Ben R Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:31 am

Mira Holford wrote:
Matt wrote:In a certain city, every day, some people become sick, some people stay well, and some people die.

thats a cheerful problem Very Happy ...

Yeah, really. I have to answer for you: 0. That's how many people would stay with conditions like that. (But seriously, I'll probably get around to answering it sooner or later.)
Ben R
Ben R
LogarithmLover
LogarithmLover

Back to top Go down

Post  Archis Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:53 am

My solution:
Spoiler:
Archis
Archis
Admin
Admin

https://nysmithmath.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Mira Holford Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:52 am

ill post my solution tomarrow or the next day cuz i didnt have time today.
Mira Holford
Mira Holford
The Cool Cube
The Cool Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Mira Holford Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:23 am

still working
Mira Holford
Mira Holford
The Cool Cube
The Cool Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:48 am

I don't even know where to start. What is a "eigenvalue 1"???? confused confused confused confused confused
Steve
Steve
The Cool Cube
The Cool Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Mira Holford Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:50 am

Steve wrote:I don't even know where to start. What is a "eigenvalue 1"???? confused confused confused confused confused

idk
Mira Holford
Mira Holford
The Cool Cube
The Cool Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down